According to recent research, around 4 billion people now have access to some form of wireless internet, whether that be WiFi or mobile data supplied by a network. While over half of the globe enjoys the many benefits of wireless broadband, 3.8 billion people actually live in areas with wireless coverage but remain unconnected. This so-called “usage gap” shows there is still much to do to improve the uptake of wireless internet, both for business and residential usage.
The recent Covid-19 pandemic has demonstrated all too well how WiFi installation is vital globally as a form of fast and reliable communication with others. In this blog post, we take a closer look at WiFi installation: how it works, the benefits, costs, and various other important factors. Read on to find out more about wireless internet and how it can benefit your business.
What is wireless internet and how does it work?
Let’s start with a definition. Wireless internet or “WiFi” allows users to access online services without the need to connect devices via an IEEE 802.3 standard Ethernet cable. The system functions using radio frequencies that broadcast signals through the air, specifically on the 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 6 GHz bands.
In more basic terms, the system works by sending and receiving data between a central point (usually a WiFi router) and a device, such as a smartphone or a laptop. This enables the download and upload of data for accessing web pages, viewing social media, and sending and receiving e-mail messages.
Wireless internet is commonly deployed in commercial and residential environments for different purposes, such as giving employees the ability to work more flexibly away from their desks. But public wireless internet is also widely available from a range of WiFi hotspots.
Most wireless internet provision can be considered “broadband” speed in 2022. That said, there is still the issue of installation for businesses and homeowners to consider. Specifically, wireless internet equipment needs to be correctly installed in a property before it can be used.
Who can benefit from WiFi installation?
WiFi installation can bring many benefits to companies no matter what the size or industry. Below are some examples:
Commercial office environments
Office environments both large and small are ideally suited to benefit from wireless internet. Whether in a small single-use office or large, multi-story office towers, WiFi keeps office users connected, and can also be extended as a complementary service for external visitors to the building.
Public-facing hospitality businesses like hotels, restaurants, and bars are prime candidates for WiFi installation. In fact, nowadays, most customers expect at least a basic wireless internet provision.
Shopping centers and retail stores can equally benefit from WiFi. Installing this service can boost footfall and give staff access to vital connectivity while on site.
It is not just commercial businesses that gain from wireless internet, manufacturing companies and those operating in niche production industries can also benefit.
WiFi can be especially useful for home office workers who need fast and reliable internet and the ability to work in different areas of the home.
How does WiFi get installed?
Wireless internet installation is relatively straightforward, but there are some key steps to follow. These include:
- Setting up the required hardware — Plug the WiFi router into an electrical socket and then connect it to a modem or internet access port using an ethernet cable (typically via the “WAN” port on the router).
- Configure the router settings — Configure the router by connecting a device directly. This is best done by connecting a laptop or computer via an ethernet cable. Install the manufacturer’s software or use a browser to directly change settings.
- Create a new WiFi network — Once the router is configured and any required software installed, create a new WiFi network using the router control panel. Create a suitable name for the network.
- Choose a secure WiFi password — It is important to select a secure WiFi password. Avoid using basic passwords. Instead, pick a lengthy and complex password with lower, uppercase, numbers, and special characters.
- Test connectivity with devices — Use devices like laptops or smartphones to connect to the wireless signal. Each device should be assigned a new IP address via DHCP. Test downloading websites and uploading data to gauge the speed of the connection.
How long does WiFi installation take?
Installation of wireless internet is relatively quick but some factors that can hinder the process:
- Physical environment — The size of the property, physical obstructions, and type of materials used during construction. All these can have an impact on the time it takes to install effective WiFi.
- Outdoor usage — If wireless internet needs to reach outdoor areas, such as a garden or communal area, WiFi extenders may be necessary to boost the signal.
- Landlord permissions — It may be that a landlord needs to grant permission before the installation of WiFi inside a property.
- Technical aspects — In some cases, there is a technical reason that could hold up installation. One example is waiting on the installation of FTTP.
What is the cost of WiFi installation?
The cost to install wireless internet can vary quite widely, depending on factors like the size and design of the building, and whether extenders and other equipment are required. Generally speaking, however, it is a cost-effective and convenient way to install wireless internet without the requirement for lengthy cabling.
Who should you contact for a WiFi installation service?
While WiFi is relatively simple to install, “out of the box” solutions are typically not going to deliver the most reliable and speedy wireless internet experience. It is best to work closely with a specialist who can offer a personalized consultation.
Like any technology, wireless internet has its benefits and limitations, so consulting with an expert will ensure the most effective installation to meet your specific requirements. The Network Installers provide professional WiFi network installation to businesses operating in many different industries. Contact us today for a quote.